Under the Family Law Act 1975, a person has a responsibility to financially assist their spouse or former de facto partner, if they can show:
- That they cannot meet their own reasonable expenses from their personal income or assets; and;
- The other spouse has the capacity to pay.
In determining applications for spousal maintenance the Court will look at things such as:
- your age and health
- your income, property, and financial resources
- your ability to work
- what is a suitable standard of living, and
- if the marriage has affected your ability to earn an income
To find out whether you may be entitled to spousal maintenance or for other associated questions including “How much spousal maintenance am I entitled to?” contact Reardon Family Lawyers today for an appointment.